27 November 2011

Hugo

Just a few words about Martin Scorsese's film Hugo. It was a really good movie about movies. Visually it was stunning. I think 3D added to the film's aesthetics and was used appropriately. People directing 3D movies should probably study this film to see how to do it. I didn't think the plot of Hugo was all that great. I kept expecting more to happen. It felt like there were plot lines and connections that were not included in the final cut of the movie. There were certain things that I had expected to happen, that didn't. The effect was somewhat jarring. The automaton never comes to life, the death of Hugo's father in an explosion is never explained. The movie is really two stories, that of Hugo and that of the film maker Georges Melies. Both are actually good stories, but there didn't seem to be as much drama in either as I would have liked.

No comments: