28 May 2011

What I've Been Reading

Killer Instinct, Zoe Sharp (2001) I dearly love badass women and Charlie Fox certainly suits that bill. A self-defense instructor in Lancaster England that gets that gets caught up in the mystery surrounding a serial killer. Killer instinct is straight forward mystery and action that reminds me of the kind of fun that I had reading Lee Child or John McDonald. Killer Instinct is actually the first book in the series which has only recently been released in the US. I am pretty sure I will be reading the rest of them.

Pygmy, Chuck Palahniuk (2009) Pygmy is narrated by a foreign exchange student who has come to America as part of a covert plot to strike a blow against America. The language and the cadence of the narrative was initially a little off-putting. But once I got past that I found the book an increasingly funny look at our modern American society from the perspective of someone coming from a completely different ideology. A number of Pygmy's observations were uncomfortably spot on.

Choke, Chuck Palahniuk (2001) I didn’t like this one nearly as much as I enjoyed Pygmy. The humor was there, but a little more uneven and the story seemed to wander a little bit towards the end. There were elements of Palahniuk’s best work present; they just never seemed to come together. I think Choke was my least favorite Palahniuk book.

No comments: