12 January 2010

Day 11 2010 (or 011110)

It was the the only binary palindrome date of the year. I left the house at 6 am and caught a bus, hit pretty much all the connections when I needed to, and it still took about an hour and twenty minutes to get to work. The temperatures in Atlanta are still remarkably cold. It might have actually gotten about freezing yesterday and taking a moment to glance at the forecast reveals it looks like we are going to return to normal temperatures for this time of year which will mean a lot of 40's and 50'.

I had the car towed to Summit Auto Service yesterday morning in hopes of having them look at it yesterday. So yesterday afternoon when it is getting close enough to the end of the day that I can think of it without throwing myself though the office window in despair at how far away it is, I get a phone call. It seems that Summit has misplaced my key and they are sure it will turn up, but they would be able to look at my car sooner if I happened to have a second key I could bring by the office, and yes they realize that I am currently sitting near Perimeter Mall, live in East Atlanta, they are in Dekalb near the Avondale Station, and I only have one car which happens to be sitting on their lot.

So instead of heading directly home I took Marta to the Avondale station which is four stops past my normal destination, the Inman Park station. I walked about a half mile down the street to Summit, dropped my keys in the night box, and then walked back to the Marta station, then took the train back to Avondale. It didn't feel that far out of the way, but it was a huge time suck. I think I left work at 5:00pm and didn't get home until after 7:30pm. On the way home I updated my Twitter status with "Sometimes you have to laugh and figure out how to make lemonade". It was genuinely funny and I am sure the universe had a purpose in that extra long commute. And I guess if the universe didn't have a purpose it's up to me to find one. If nothing else I got some amusement and some exercise out of it. And it's cool to go new places. And it was a pretty nice night for a walk. And I did get some quiet time to myself. And I did get to listen to a good Stephen King book.

It's funny how life and books sometimes intertwine. Under the Dome is about a small town that becomes completely isolated from the outside world by a forcefield like bubble and the effect that has on the town. There are some similarities to suddenly not having a car and suddenly having a bubble descending around you limiting where you can go. Suddenly I found myself nodding at one of the character's thoughts about the dome and realized I was nodding about my thoughts on not currently having a car. Again the universe seems to be messing with me, keeping my house guest here and keeping me around the house more while my house guest is here. Believe me, this isn't how I envisioned it.

They have been the perfect house guest and I suspect they are not really happy at being stuck here either.

At home I cooked up some burgers and watched an episode of Serenity. Before the episode was over I could feel my eyelids getting heavy. I think I might have set a record for how fast and hard I fell asleep when I went to bed just after.

No comments: